Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Surgery Day

So today was the surgery. It was a quick procedure and the staff was so kind at Atlanta Outpatient.
My pre-op nurse was so sweet and apologized for some of the questions she had to ask me. She was great with putting the IV into my tiny little vein. The anesthesiologist gave me a wonderful sedative to calm my nerves before the procedure.

My doctor came and answered my questions about the surgery and recovery. He also recommended that we send samples to Northside for genetic testing to see if there is something wrong with our genes or if it was a chromosomal abnormality that was not compatible with life for this baby. He suggested the testing since this was my third miscarriage. The results could help us decide if we want to try again or just thank God that we were able to have one perfect little boy named Spencer.

They brought me into the OR and my doctor came in and said "It's sleepy time." The nurse anesthetist told me to take some deep breaths and I was out. The next thing I remember is my post-op nurse asking me how I was feeling. Surgery is such a surreal experience. It is so odd to loose any time out of your life.

My post-op nurse was an older woman. She told me about her children and grandchildren. She had me laughing, which was a feat today. I told her this was such a different experience from my last surgery. They woke me up and took me to the car in about 15 minutes. She asked if it was a particular facility and it was. I was surprised that she guessed it, but she wasn't. She said they wanted to make sure I was okay before I went home. She said "As long as I have that IV in you, I can help you if you get sick. As soon as I take it out, all I can do is hold your hand and hold your hair back."

All I really wanted to do was go get something to eat. I ate lunch before my appointment yesterday and after I was too upset to eat. I regretted that all morning since I couldn't eat or drink. As soon as we left, we went to Firehouse Subs.

Finally, we went to pick Spencer up from his grandma's house. It was a long, emotional day. We came home and I took a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment